Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Pirate's life for me!


My latest projects are appliqued baby gifts. I have recently learned of the millions of designs for embroidery that are available almost instantly via download at thousands of sites. Oh boy, I have to restrain myself! I could sit and browse designs for days. There is a never ending supply of adorable girly designs however finding cute boyish designs is way more difficult. My favorite site at the moment, The Embroidery-Boutique, has many cute designs for boy items and I recently purchased all their pirate themed applique designs. Here is a shirt I made today using the Pirate Hat design.

I did something a little different on this shirt, rather than applique the design directly on the shirt I used two layers of thick stablizer and made an applique patch then adhered it using my favorite fusible material, Heat N'Bond.  I decided to try this because my daughter will not wear the items I've made her using machine embroidery because the stitches in the back irritate her skin. This way the stitches are not touching the child's skin only the soft cotton shirt. It worked great, I just did the whole design on the black and whit gingham then very carefully cut it out with very sharp embroidery scissors.


2 comments:

MissIndy said...

OMG I LOVE THAT!! How much to put that on a onesie for Luke!?!

rachel said...

That's a great idea! And it's so cute!