Thursday, January 6, 2011

Fun with fabric scraps

Anyone who sews knows that in a very short time one can amass a pretty big fabric scrap stash. I cannot bear to  get rid of them but since I don't quilt(yet!) I'm not really sure what to do with them. 

On my weekly Target trip I came across some nice quality white towels on clearance. I snatched them up even though we didn't really need them. Then while straightening up my sewing room I came across my plain white burp cloths and had a thought, I could embellish those towels the way I do burp cloths for my Etsy shop with fabric ribbons and embroidery! The bonus to this was being able to use some of my scraps. Here are a couple I've done.

I found another project for fabric scraps. Often times when cutting patterns you are left with narrow but long strips from along the edge of the fabric. I found a great project for those strips from one of my favorite sewing for children books, Making Children's Clothes(I discuss this book in detail in my earlier post about favorite sewing books.). It is a cute little scarf, here is the project in the book

I decided to make the scarf in polar fleece rather than the wool the book suggests. I also made it easier by cutting my circles out using my Cricket and ironing my fabric onto Heat and Bond.
I detail how to cut fabric on the Cricket in am earlier post, HERE is the link.
I think the scarf is adorable and Nat loves it! I used fabric from Riley Blake, the collections they come from are Quite Contrary and Summer Song.
So there ya go, a couple of ways I found to use some of my huge stash of scraps. 


0 comments: