Sunday, January 2, 2011

A New Project

My latest project is a jacket for my oldest daughter who is 5 1/2. With my recent success with collars and sleeves I wanted to kick it up a notch and make something really special. I also wanted to use a fabric kit I recently bought from my FAVORITE fabric store onlineFarmhouse Fabrics.

 I talked a little about Farmhouse in my post on Heirloom Sewing for Children. I am absolutely in love with their fabrics and trims, they also have an amazing selection of patterns. I had been going to their site often and drooling over the fabulous fabrics, mostly high quality imports, for a while before I placed my first order. I finally decided I HAD to have several of their fabrics bundled as "Garment to Go". They consist of  a yard or two of coordinating fabrics along with buttons and trims, brilliant I have to say! Here are a couple that I recently purchased,
and the description ,
Coat Kit". "Lime Sparkler" includes: 1 yard (60" wide) spring green cotton velveteen; 1 yard (60") pretty lime, and yellow cotton print for lining; nice white 4-hole buttons! We suggest Children's Corner pattern, Robin's Jacket, or Gail Doane's jackets from her book, "Sew Cute Couture" for this fabulous combination! Click for close-up view. 

This one, though out of season I couldn't resist,
"Garment to Go". "Beach Vacation" includes: 1 Yd. (60" wide) sea shell pique; 1 yd. (45" wide) pagoda pink broadcloth; 1 yd. fine white twill; 1 1/2 yds. of white grosgrain pleated trim; 3 yds. pagoda pink piping; 10 white 2-hole buttons, and 4 shell shanks. 

Back to the project,  I decided to use the first kit, the coat kit for, well,  a coat! The two fabrics are incredible, I mean really really beautiful and the finest quality. The velveteen is to die for. I figured that this was the perfect color palette to usher in the new year and look forward to spring. I've got my materials all I need is a pattern.

I am a big fan of Sew Mama Sew. It is an online sewing store and a terrific blog, it is also local here in the Portland area. I was browsing there and came upon the perfect pattern for my coat and a huge bonus, it was a PDF download so I didn't have to wait for it to arrive. It's a darling little reversible coat, just perfect for my fabrics. Without further ado here it is

Reversible Girls Jacket 3-9 Years ~ Bettsy Kingston PDF Sewing Pattern
A simple and wonderful reversible baby jacket with peter pan collar and long sleeves. Beautiful and easy to make with a relaxed fit. The pattern is designed for use with a sewing machine. An overlocker is not required.


Here is the link to the patterns listing on Sew Mama Sew. So off I go for a late night of sewing in a quiet house once all my children are fast asleep. Stay tuned for pictures of my progress and finished product!
'

0 comments: