Sunday, December 5, 2010

Favorite Wardrobe Staple- Jumpers

If I were asked what my favorite item in a little girl's wardrobe is I would say the jumper, no question. I literally  start with jumpers and build my girls' wardrobes around them every season. They are so versatile and can easily be worn year round. In the fall I pair them with a blouse and little cardi, winter a turtle neck and tights. When spring rolls around a feminine little T and in summer the jumper can stand alone. I have to say fall is my favorite time to make jumpers because of all the fabulous fabric choices. This year I did many in corduroy as well as some wool tartans and cotton flannels that have the look of wool but wash and wear like cotton, gotta love that. I also plan on making a jumper in velveteen for each girl in a deep scarlet red that can be worn for the Holiday season as well as through to Valentine's Day. Last week I stopped by Joann's to pick up some basics and saw that they had all their Fall/Winter plaids 60%!!!!!! I LOVE, I mean LOVE plaid, it is by far my very favorite print and I use it all the time in both my wardrobe and the girls', so I nearly passed out when I saw this. I normally am not a fan of Joann's fabrics and rarely buy fabric other than muslin and utility fabrics but this was quite the fantastic find. Here is a pic of my haul!
There are hundreds of jumper pattens out there and a lot of them are pretty much the same so which do you choose or do you just sketch one yourself onto pattern paper? Most of the time I select the most simple and clean design, unless  I am wanting  something trendy and of the moment I always gravitate toward timeless and classic. I do like a lot of boutique pattern but for something like a simple a-line jumper why spend the extra money? For  the following two jumpers for my two year old I used one of my go-to faves New Look 6578 and customized it a bit in size and leaving the applique off.
So here are my finished projects in size 3 for my 2 year old. I think they turned out great. Two more adorable pieces to add to B's wardrobe!(excuse the horrible photo of the bottom jumper)





0 comments: