Saturday, December 4, 2010

Heirloom Sewing for Children, my new obsession




It all started with a desire to make the perfect little monogrammed jumper for my two yr old. In my opinion there is nothing sweeter or more stylish than a crisp little a -line jumper or pinafore in a classic gingham check on a little girl. When I got my new Bernina Machine with embroidery module my plan was to make my girls several of these. So I started asking around in embroidery circles about the perfect high quality gingham and checked fabric. Again and again I was told Fabric Finders Fabric was what I was looking for.

So online I went to look for my ideal fabric, and yes I quickly found that indeed Fabric Finders made exactly what I was looking for. They make high quality, long lasting classic children's fabrics. Too many adorable tri checks, ginghams and plaids to count, not to mention the sweet and feminine piques and batistes, heaven! I found a list of retailers that carried their fabrics and happened upon a new passion, heirloom sewing, I heard the words over and over again on just about all the sites I visited. Heirloom sewing is creating classic children's design in high quality "heirloom" fabrics, many times involving smocking but I'm not quite to that just yet. In my humble opinion it is the perfect antidote to the overly mature styles for girls that are so popular.

Here is a  my first "heirloom" project, the Kayla Jumper by Bonnie Blue designs




Here is a example of it that I am considering, but without the scotties. I'm thinking cord or velveteen with the tri check lining and covered buttons.




I am also going to make this dress for my older daughter for Spring





Fabric finders paisley lawn, perfect for the "Shelby"



I found an amazing site that carries everything you need to start making heirloom quality garments for your child. Farmhouse Fabrics is incredible! It was there that I discovered two lines of patterns that are to die for gorgeous, classic yet very sweet. Bonnie Blue Designs and Children's Corner. Don't let the old fashioned illustrations fool you, these are classic timeless deigns that you can easily put your own modern take on. Here are some of my faves all available at Farmhouse Fabrics.

Bonnie Blue Designs
                               "Kitty" My FAVE!!!







Children's Corner

                                                              







Needless to say I'm in love with these adorable styles, I can't wait to post pics of my Kayla Jumper!

0 comments: