Saturday, December 4, 2010

Today I am inspired! Oliver +S (part 1)


Today while nursing yet another migraine I parked myself on the sofa with my netbook and just surfed fabric and sewing sited. I happened upon some really great shops and blogs in the process, among them the Oliver +S.

If you're not familiar with Oliver +S  you're really missing out. They produce the most fabulous line of retro and vintage inspired children's clothing patterns, they also have recently launched a fabric line for Moda but more on that a little later. I am a bit embarrassed to admit that while I have scooped up and brought home several of their patterns I have yet to make a garment from one. It's not that I don't have the desire it's that when I bought them I  was so excited I just grabbed them without a firm plan. I  LOVE patterns, the promise they hold, the anticipation, I think that's why I started sewing in the first place. I will admit that I am a bit of a pattern hoarder and I often write checks my already crazy schedule cannot possible cash and without an actual project in mind, complete with fabric and a free afternoon or evening, many of my patterns are doomed to an eternity in one of my many "had to have it, I'll get around to it" pattern baskets. Here are the patterns I have in my stash,



Sailor Top and Skirt/Pant

Ice Cream Dress


Birthday Party Dress

Given the season I think I've decided to start with the Birthday Party Dress because I can pair it with a long sleeved t or turtleneck and top it with a classic little cardi.


After spending some time on the site and blog I was excited to go and dig out my Oliver +S patterns and start shopping for fabrics. Normally I would NEVER choose a fabric from the collection that is featured on the website. Choosing your own fabrics and making your own one of kind piece is really the whole point of sewing isn't it? It is for me especially when it comes to sewing for my daughters, to save them from the mass produced cookie cutter outfits that anyone can buy at Janie and Jack at your local mall(did that sound snobbish?) I think I'm going to make an exception this time because the new City Weekend fabric colloction by Oliver +S for Moda is simply amazing! I recently got a chance to see and feel the fabrics firsthand at A Common Thread, a local sewing and fabric store that I just adore. Not only are there tons of fantastic printed wovens in the collection but there are also yummy super soft knits. I seriously love them all, they are a welcome departure from your typical children's fabrics but I think I am leaning toward the coral on top on the stack paired with the aqua pindot.

Check out these a-ma-zing prints!


City Weekend by Oliver +S for Moda







What do you think, any favorite fabrics you're loving right now? Got any ideas for me? How about on these patterns in general? Have you worked with any of their patterns or fabrics, what did/do you think? I'd love some input. In general I could talk endlessly about sewing, especially for my children so I welcome all your comments and opinions :)

0 comments: