Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Big Dreams Embroidery Banner

I've been having so much fun experimenting with my new embroidery machine! I'm finally able to do things I've wanted to do but couldn't with my old machine. The Brother machine is totally effortless and I'm loving it.

Although I have a huge library of designs I'm often surfing my favorite sites looking for new additions. Right now I'm really into "In The Hoop" designs. If you're not familiar they are mostly freestanding designs made entirely in your hoop then removed at the end of sewing. They usually utilize the back or underside of the hoop as well, in doing this you can make all sorts of things from, pouches and bags(think fold over wallets) to small toys and dolls, even baby booties, all in your hoop! My first "ITH" creations were these monogrammed hair clips for my daughters,


While shopping Etsy for designs, they have THOUSANDS(search Machine Embroidery Designs) I happened upon Big Dreams Embroidery(link is to the Big Dreams website where downloads are instant, you can also find them HERE on Etsy and have purchases emailed to you) My first purchase was the Candy Shop Banner. It was emailed to me within minutes, seriously like 5-10!, along with a very nice note from the owner, Kate. I had several other email interactions with Kate and was so impressed with how professional, helpful and kind she is. The design came in 4 sizes, 4,5,6 and 7 inches and was only $4.95. Next I bought the Olivia Font, Pretty Applique Font and the Love Heart Banner for Valentine's Day.


Images used with permission from Big Dreams Embroidery

I got started on my Candy Shop Banner right away, what a fun Sunday afternoon project it was. I made the first for my oldest daughter because she was so super excited about me hanging it on her wall. I ended up pretty much doing mine exactly like the one Big Dreams shows because the color scheme matched my girls' room so perfectly, I plan on using a bit more originality on my next banner :) I chose the 5 inch design and used the Olivia font for my daughter's name. The design came with wonderful step by step instructions. These in the hoop banners are a great project for both beginners or seasoned embroiderers and are perfect for decorating for everyday or special occasions. 

And now, my finished banner,


Thanks for reading!













1 comments:

Big Dreams Embroidery said...

Wow, WOW, Stunning! Kerrianne your very first banner looks absolutely gorgeous! I can't wait to see what your next one will look like. Thank you so much for all the lovely things you have written about me too. <3 Kate