Thursday, January 5, 2012

Sewing in small spaces

Happy New Year!
I'm excited to have gotten my sewing groove back after a fairly long dry spell mainly brought on by a recent move that left me without a sewing room. I was quite blessed to have a large bonus room that was my very own sewing sanctuary, losing that space drained me of all my creative mojo. Seeing all my equipment and supplies go into storage was just awful. Well after visiting my very favorite heirloom sewing site Farmhouse Fabrics and seeing they were having an amazing closeout sale on some Nashville Cotton fabrics as well as some others I was inspired. Visit them soon for incredible savings. Among others I got this beautiful floral for just $3.38 down from $13.50!
HERE is the link to the closeout section.

So after I was inspired to start sewing again the obvious dilema was where could I find some space. I decided to try and transform an extra walk in closet that we use to store everything we don't really need and never use into my own little sewing annex. It actually has a fair amount of space and some shelving perfect for storage. Here are some before pics
Pretty bad huh? I had some serious work to do, but I was motivated by the big order of fabics and patterns on the way from Farmhouse.
 Well I'm thrilled to have at least gotten to the point where some of my machines are set up and I have all the basics readily available, I'm good to go! Here is the progress I've made so far 
 













Because of the wall you can only see half of the full space but there is still plenty of space to set up a cutting table or another machine. I am now on the lookout for some attractive and functional modular storage  for fabric and pretty baskets to hold my patterns and notions, I'd love some ideas.

I'll keep you updated on my quest to create the perfect little sewing space!





0 comments: